Nurturing creativity in any organization is a very pertinent issue. It leads to increase in productivity and also adds value to the product brand.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.What do we mean by creativityBefore going in detail, let us understand what do we mean by creativity? The creativity is the ability to produce new things using skills or imagination. The famous synonyms of creativity are inventions, creativeness, imagination and ingenuity. On the other hand, creative mindset is the one that sees information practically from the world around it and relates it to their experiences and existing knowledge in order to create. Also, a creative mindset gives a new meaning to your approach, your life, creative endeavors and almost everything you do. As per seducation.wordpress.com, a creative mindset opens up a plethora of opportunities and possibilities. Once the process of creative thinking becomes a part of one’s life, they are able to relish the creative process and embrace innovative thinking. <!– wp:shortcode –> [thrive_leads id=’28640′] <!– /wp:shortcode –> As per academia.edu, the definition of creativity was given as below: “ Creativity is a process, in a completely new manner and something original comes into existence, a form of behaviour, in which a person insists routine answers, tolerates and even seeks out the ambivalence, insecurity and vagueness that may serve as a basis for a new order.”
2. Why nurturing creativity is vital for any organization?Photographer: Jon Tyson | Source: Unsplash In modern day, creativity is emerging as a major tool to drive and enhance business. This makes nurturing creativity more imperative to suit the changing business scenarios. As per the book,” Flight of Creative Classes”, written by Richard Florida, in United States of America alone, 50% of the money is earned by creative people, which constitute only 30% of the workforce. Thus, being creative is no more a whimsical, fanciful proposition .Rather, it is now the order of the day and a major business tool. A creative person Nigel Colin(reference ezinearticle.com), in his articles “How to lead your creative people: why that is important and what to do about it”; avers that being creative is the only way to drive and sustain business, in modern times.
3.The challenges before leaders with respect to nurturing creativity in their organizations.It must be borne in mind that if you think that recruiting creative people is the only way to enhance the output in your organization, you are grossly mistaken. Even the self-driven, highly creative people need be managed, for full utilization of their creative potential. Further, the entire workforce in organization may not be creative. A survey was conducted to know that how many people understood that creativity must be nurtured at workplace. It was found out that 90% of them replied in affirmation. Another question put to them was “Are they creative at work on a day to day basis.” Surprisingly, only 17% of them replied in “yes”. It means 83% of the people admitted that they did not use creativity as business tool to further the business interests of their organization. Hence, it is clear from the above that a major chunk of the workforce (83%), is supposed to be non-creative. The real challenge before leaders is to change the mindset of these 83% people, so that they are in tune with the business interests of their organization, by adopting creative attitude. Also, efforts must continue for driving the maximum potential of creative people in the organization. The next question arises whether the non-creative people in an organization, which consists of majority, 83% as above, may be transformed into creative group. The author is of the opinion that the answer to this question is a big “yes”. Creative thinking is the ability to create something out of nothing. It is important to understand what creativity really means before we start talking about nurturing creativity in our organizations. To begin with, let’s take a look at some definitions of creativity. According to Wikipedia, “Creativity is the process of generating novel and valuable ideas. It involves coming up with original concepts, products, processes, or works of art.” Creativity is defined as the act of creating something new or unusual. Creative thinking skills are the ability to use imagination to solve problems. Creative people have the ability to develop their own ideas and then turn them into reality they are able to find new ways of looking at things. This skill helps them to make decisions quickly and effectively. Creative thinking techniques involve a creative process of developing a new idea or product. It begins by brainstorming. Brainstorming is when several people share their thoughts on a particular topic. The aim of this exercise is to get all the possible ideas flowing. After brainstorming, the next step is to select the best ones. This is done by eliminating the ideas that do not seem to work. Finally, the selected ideas need to be developed further so that they become a real product. Innovative ideas are very important as they help us to improve our lives. For example, innovation is required to produce clean energy sources like solar power. Innovation is the process of making changes to existing products or services. It includes any change made to an old product or service. Innovation is a way of improving the quality of life. It is important because it makes life easier and safer. <!– wp:shortcode –> [thrive_leads id=’28638′] <!– /wp:shortcode –> The key takeaway of being creative is to think outside the box. Being creative requires you to come up with new solutions to problems. You need to think beyond your usual boundaries. When you are creative, you will find many opportunities to grow your career. If you want to nurture creativity in your organization, here are some tips:
- Encourage employees to express themselves freely.
- Give them time to explore their interests.
- Provide ample resources.
- Create clear goals.
4.Six tips for nurturing creativity in your organizationThe author has pondered over the question and came out with the following six suggestions for nurturing creativity in an organization. Photographer: Sharon Pittaway | Source: Unsplash
- Align the employees with business goals of the organization, followed by employees solving the problemsAligning with goals should be the first step. After that has been done, they must be asked to solve the real problems that the organization is facing. This may give a sense of belongingness, and also encourage them to give their best.
- Encourage the divergent thinking among employeesDivergent thinking with emphasis on convergence of thoughts, actions, ideas and anything else towards achieving business interests should be strived.